HC Home - HC (A-Z) - Court Agenda - County Directory - Employees - County Holidays
  Harris County
      Constable Precinct 5
Search Harris County

Skip Navigation LinksVictim Assistance

Mission Statement

Our mission is to provide direct assistance to crime victims, through advocacy, support, education and outreach. We are dedicated to assist the victims of crime and their families, to protect their fundamental rights with compassion, dignity and respect. We strive to reduce the trauma and stress caused by the crime and empower them to move forward from a victim to a survivor.

IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE PROCEEDING. If you are currently in a violent relationship and are concerned about your web search being discovered The National Violence Against Women Prevention Research Center has provided detailed instructions on Internet Safety for Victims of Violence These tips will help you keep your web search private.

Next: Please read the Safety Plan for Victims Of Domestic Violence.

541-A South Mason Katy, Texas 77450
Telephone: 281-578-2513   Fax:  281-599-9843

Please visit the Attorney General of Texas Greg Abbott's web site for additional information.

Please visit the Katy Christian Ministries web site for local resources available to victims.

What is Crime Victims' Compensation?
To be eligible a person must:
Who may qualify?
Who is not eligible?
What crimes are covered?
What type of financial assistance is available?
How do I apply?
What are my rights to appeal when benefits have been reduced or denied?
What is Crime Victims' Compensation?Top

Crime Victims' Compensation is a financial assistance program that helps eligible victims of crime with certain expenses related to the crime. Money for this program comes from court costs paid by criminals and deposited by each Texas county into the Crime Victims' Compensation Fund.
The Crime Victims' Compensation Program is administered by the Office of the Attorney General and is dedicated to ensuring that crime victims receive every possible assistance.
The Crime Victims' Compensation Program is "the payer of last resort" after primary sources of payment - such as health insurance, Medicaid, Medicare, auto insurance or Texas Workers' Compensation - have been exhausted.
If the court orders the offender to pay restitution to the victim for the expense that Crime Victims' Compensation has already paid, the victim may be required to reimburse the Fund. If the victim or claimant recovers money through the settlement of a civil suit against the offender or a third party, he or she may also have to reimburse the Fund.


To be eligible a person must:Top

Be a United States resident with the crime occurring in Texas or a Texas resident who becomes a victim in a state or country without a compensation program; United States citizenship not required.
Report the crime to a law enforcement agency within a reasonable time, but not so late as to interfere with or hamper the investigation and prosecution of crime.
File the application within three years of the date of the crime


Who may qualify?Top

An innocent victim of crime who suffers substantial threat or physical and / or emotional harm or death.
A dependant of a victim.
An authorized individual acting on behalf of the victim.
An intervener who goes to the aid of a victim or peace officer.
A person who legally assumes the obligations or voluntarily pays certain expenses related to the crime on behalf of the victim.
Immediate family or household members related to blood or marriage who require counseling as a result of the crime.
A peace officer, fire fighter or individual who has a duty to protect the public and is injured in a crime.


Who is not eligible?Top

Benefits may be reduced or denied if the victim:

Participated in the crime.
Engaged in illegal activity.
Contributed to the crime.
Was an inmate at the time of the crime.
Knowingly or intentionally submitted false or forged information to the Crime Victims' Compensation Program.
Did not cooperate with the appropriate law enforcement agencies.


What crimes are covered?Top

Crimes covered by the Crime Victims' Compensation are those in which the victim suffers substantial threat of physical or emotional harm or death. These may include sexual assault, kidnapping, robbery, assault, homicide and other violent crimes.
Vehicular crimes that are covered include failure to stop and render aid, DWI, manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide, aggravated assault, intoxicated manslaughter and intoxication assault.


What type of financial assistance is available? Top

Claims may be approved for benefits up to a total of $50,000. In the case of catastrophic injuries resulting in a total and permanent disability, victims may be eligible for an additional $75,000 in benefits.

Upon approval, benefits may be awarded for the following:

Medical, hospital, physical therapy or nursing care.
Psychiatric care or counseling.
One - time relocation assistance for victims of family violence or a victim of sexual assault who is assaulted in the victim's place of residence.
Loss of earnings or support.
Loss of wages and travel reimbursement due to participation in, or attendance at, the investigation, prosecution and judicial process.
Care of a child or dependant.
Funeral and burial expenses.
Crime scene clean up.
Replacement costs for clothing, bedding or other property seized as evidence or rendered unusable as the result of the investigation.
Attorney fees for assistance in filing the Crimes Victims' Compensation application and in obtaining benefits, if the claim is approved.
Loss of wages and travel to seek treatment or counseling.

Additional benefits for victims who have suffered a catastrophic injury include:

Making a home or car accessible.
Job training and vocational rehabilitation.
Training in the use of special appliances.
Home health care.
Reimbursement of lost wages.
Rehabilitation technology, long term medical expenses and medical equipment.
Reimbursement for property damage or theft is not an eligible expense.


How do I apply?Top

Every law enforcement agency and prosecutor's office in Texas is mandated to provide victims of crime with information about the Crime Victims Compensation Program application for benefits. When contacting these agencies, please ask for the victim assistance coordinator or liaison, who can provide assistance in completing the application. (For Precinct 5 Constable's Office contact Deputy Mark Richie or Sergeant Marilyn Rucker at 281-578-2513.) Hospitals and medical centers may also have applications and materials.
Applications for benefits can be obtained directly from the Crime Victims' Compensation Program in the Office of the Attorney General by calling 1-800-983-9933. Professional staff at the division are also available to answer any questions and provide assistance in completing the application.


What are my rights to appeal when benefits have been reduced or denied? Top

If the Crime Victims' Compensation Program makes a decision with which the victim or claimant disagrees, he or she has the right under the law to ask that the decision be reconsidered. In order to appeal the decision, the victim or the claimant must notify Crime Victims' Compensation in writing within 60 days, stating the reason for dissatisfaction. If the outcome of the reconsideration process is not satisfactory, the victim or claimant has 60 days to request a final ruling hearing from the Crime Victims' Compensation Program. Should the victim or the claimant not agree with the outcome of the hearing, he or she may file an appeal with the district court within 40 days of the final ruling.


Plan for Victims of Domestic Violence

These are safety suggestions, following these suggestions is not a guarantee of your safety, but could help to improve your safety situation.

Safety during an explosive incident
Safety when preparing to leave
Items to take when leaving
Safety in your own home
Safety with an order of protection
Your safety and health
Safety during an explosive incidentTop

Identify your partner’s use and level of force so that you can assess danger to you and your children before it occurs.
Try to avoid an abusive situation by leaving.
Identify safe areas of the house where there are no weapons and where there are always ways to escape.
Ask a neighbor to call the police if they hear a disturbance coming from your home.
Devise a code word to use with your children, family, friends and neighbors when you need the police.
Decide and plan for where you will go if you leave home (even if you don’t think you will need to).
Use your own instincts and judgment. If the situation is very dangerous consider giving the abuser what he or she wants to calm him or her down. You have the right to protect yourself until you are out of danger.
Always remember-You don’t deserve to be hit or threatened.


Safety when preparing to leaveTop

Open a savings account in your own name to establish or increase your independence.
Leave money, an extra set of keys, copies of important documents and extra clothes with someone you trust so you can leave quickly.
Determine who would be able to let you stay with them or lend you some money.
Keep the shelter phone number close at hand and keep some change or a calling card on you at all times for emergency phone calls.
Review your safety plan as often as possible in order to plan the safest way to leave your batterer. Remember-Leaving your batterer is the most dangerous time.


Items to take when leavingTop

Bank accounts
Insurance polices 
Check book
Marriage license 
Drivers license
Credit cards 
Social security numbers for everyone
Atm cards 
Birth certificates
Personal telephone
School & vaccinations 
Always keep money hidden and extra keys for the house and car.


Safety in your own homeTop

Change the locks on your doors as soon as possible. Buy additional locks and safety devices to secure your windows.
Discuss a safety plan with your children for when you are not with them.

Inform your children’s school, day care, etc., about who has permission to pick up your children.

Inform neighbors and landlords that your partner no longer lives with you and that they should call the police if they see him or her near your home.


Safety with an order of protectionTop

Keep your order of protection with you at all times. 
Call the police if your partner violates the protection order 

Think of alternative ways to keep safe if the police do not respond right away.

Inform family, friends, and neighbors that you have a protection order in effect.


Your safety and healthTop

If you are thinking of returning to a potentially abusive situation, discuss alternative plan with someone you trust.

If you have to communicate with your abuser, arrange to do so in the way that makes you feel safest, whether by phone, mail, in the company of another person, etc.

Have positive thoughts about yourself and be assertive with others about your needs.

Read books and articles to help you feel stronger.

Decide whom you can talk to freely and openly to give you the support you need.

Plan to attend support groups with others and learn more about yourself and the relationship.


   Printer-Friendly Page

For suggestions or comments regarding this site please email us at webcomments@hctx.net.

The information contained in this site was valid at the time of posting. Harris County assumes no liability for damages incurred directly or indirectly as a result of errors, omissions or discrepancies. Moreover, Harris County is not responsible for the content nor endorses any site which has a link from this page. For additional information please review our Privacy Policy and our Accessibility Statement.