|How do I apply for a position with Harris County?||Top
To be Welcome to the Harris County Human Resources & Risk Management Employment Office
To be considered for a position with Harris County all applicants must submit a completed “Job Application” for a posted position. Applicants can apply for as many positions as they like, but they must submit one application for each position. Please make sure to read each posting carefully, since only applicants that match the posting requirements based on the information provided on the application will have their applications referred to the hiring departments for consideration. Open positions are posted in three different categories: Clerical, Technical/ Paraprofessional and Professional. Complete job requirements and descriptions are available to the public at our office during business hours or on the internet 24 hours a day. Both sites are updated daily. Resumes are welcome, as long as it accompanies a completed application.
· ALL CLERICAL POSITIONS REQUIRE THE “CLERICAL SKILLS TEST"
· INCOMPLETE* APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
(*Missing required information, transcripts, diplomas, etc.)
Accommodations will be made upon request for persons with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
|Where do I get the Job Application?||Top
· You can obtain a Job Application by downloading the form in Adobe PDF format below. Just click on any of the forms listed below and your form will open in a separate window. You must have Adobe Reader version 7 or higher to open the file. The Adobe Reader is free and it is already installed in most computers, including public access computers (i.e. Public Libraries, schools, Texas Worksource offices, etc.). If you are not sure which version you are using, click on the Adobe icon at the bottom of the site menu to the left to update your reader.
· MAC users: Please install and use the free Adobe Reader when filling out the forms.
Save the blank form to your computer/device and then complete. Using the “PREVIEW” application to fill-in and save forms corrupts the file in a number of ways; the most common problem is that the application will appear to be blank when we receive it; so it cannot be processed. Make sure to use the most recent version of Adobe. Click here to update your Adobe Reader.
Click below to open the desired form:
Ø Job Application
Ø Supplemental Information Sheet (If you need to include additional employment history).
Ø Volunteer Work Information Sheet (If your volunteer experience is relevant to the selected position).
1. Once, you open the PDF file, save a copy to your computer using the “Save As” option and rename the file to include your first and last name (i.e. John Smith – Job Application).
2. Close the application on the web browser.
3. Locate the file you just saved, open and fill out.
4. Make sure to save again after you complete the application.
5. Send to our office as attachment.
NOTE: If using a public computer, save the application to a portable drive (USB memory drive, flash drive, etc.)
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATIONS BY E-MAIL
|How do I know if my application is complete?||Top
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
· Your application must include the following information (required)
1. Full name: First, last and middle name (if applicable)
2. Any previous names or aliases (i.e. maiden name)
3. Phone number
4. Last four digits of your Social Security Number
5. Complete current address including: City, State and Zip Code
6. Job Number and Job Title of desired position
7. Education (list all degrees if applicable)
8. All questions on page 2 “General Data” must be answered
9. A driver’s license number or state ID including the issuing state and expiration date
10. A minimum of two references with phone numbers
11. Application must be dated and signed
· Read the job posting carefully and include copies of any additional documents required (copies of high school diploma, degrees, transcripts, certifications etc.). All required documents as stated on a job posting must be submitted at the same time as the application; otherwise, your application will be automatically disqualified.
· Remember, a resume is welcome but it will not be used for consideration. All qualifying information must be stated on the application.
All “Employment History” listed on the application must be complete:
1. Employer /Company’s name and address
2. Your job title
3. Supervisor’s name and title
4. Dates of employment (month/year)
5. Type of employment (full time, part-time, etc.)
6. Answer yes/no to whether we can contact the employer. If yes, include phone number.
NOTE: This information is used for employment verification only if the job is offered to you.
7. Duties or job description
8. Reason for leaving and salary are optional.
|Submitting your application by E-MAIL.||Top
Applications must be submitted via e-mail:
· Download a job application and fill it out completely considering the following guidelines:
Ø Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Ø Only applications for posted positions will be considered.
Ø Announcement number and job title must be recorded on the application.
Ø All applications must include date and signature. Typing your name in the signature field is
Ø All statements made on the application(s) are subject to investigation and/or verifications.
· Save the completed application to your computer, and change the file name to include your name
i.e.: (File/Save As/ Smith John – Job Application)
· Submit the application by e-mail to JobApps@bmd.hctx.net as an attachment.
· Please attach any other supporting documents that may be required as per the posting: Copy of High School diploma, degree, transcripts, certifications, etc.
· Resumes are welcome along with an application, but will not be used for qualification.
· Applicants can apply for as many posted positions as desired, but must submit a separate application for each position.
|How do I know if the position I’m interested requires testing and where do I take the “Clerical Skills Test”?||Top
Taking the “Clerical Skills Test”
· All positions listed under the “Clerical” category require that you take the “Clerical Skills Test”.
· Applicants must take the test first, before submitting the application.
· An application is NOT required to take the test; you can submit the application by e-mail after you get your scores.
To take the “Clerical Skills Test” appear in person to:
Harris County Human Resources & Risk Management Employment Office
1310 Prairie St., Suite 170 , Houston, TX 77002
Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays between 9:00am and 11:00am.
NO APPOINTMENT NEEDED, FIRST COME FIRST SERVED.
|I have taken the "Clerical Skills Test" before, do I have to take it again?||Top
· The “Clerical Skills Test” scores are valid for 6 months.
· You can apply for positions that require testing within those six months providing that your score meet the requirement for the position you wish to apply.
· You are welcome to re take the test if your scores do not meet the requirement for the desired position or if you want to improve your current score. However, you can only take the test once per testing day, and twice every 30 days.
|Once I submit my application, how do I know the status?||Top
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to advise applicants as to the status of their application. If your application meets the required qualifications for the position you are applying for, it will be forwarded to the respective department. A department representative will then contact you for an interview if they are interested. Thank you for your interest in employment with Harris County.
UPON RECEIVING A CONDITIONAL OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT, ALL APPLICANTS ARE SCREENED FOR THE PRESENCE OF ILLEGAL DRUGS.